You probably know that you should be using a Vitamin C serum every day. But do you know why? And are you even using it properly? Here’s a little refresher, plus a list of my favorite top-rated Vitamin C serums.
HOW TO USE VITAMIN C SERUM
- Because Vitamin C helps protect your skin from pollution, ultraviolet light, and free radicals, you’re going to want to use it in the morning rather than in the evening
- As a rule of thumb, skincare products should typically be applied from “thinnest” to “thickest” in terms of consistency
- Step 1: Wash your face.
- Step 2: If you’re a toner person, use a toner. (I personally only use toner at night.)
- Step 3: Apply Vitamin C serum. Pat any excess product onto the top of your hands, neck, and décolletage.
- Step 4: Apply a moisturizer.
- Step 5: Apply a sunscreen. Let it dry/set.
- Step 6: Begin your makeup. (Check out my everyday makeup routine and products here.)
- What’s nice about Vitamin C serums is that they can be applied as a base layer underneath whatever products you use in the morning, because they never feel sticky.
VITAMIN C SERUM BENEFITS
- According to dermatologists, Vitamin C is one of greatest anti-aging ingredients found in nature
- Short Term Benefits: Immediately after using a product with Vitamin C (like a serum) you’ll notice increased radiance and sheen
- Long Term Benefits: With consistent use over time, it helps build collagen and increases firmness
- After just 4-6 weeks, dermatologists say you can expect to see a difference in skin tone and improvement with hyperpigmentation
- Here’s how one dermatologist (Dr. Mona Gohara) explained it to me: Vitamin C sucks up the free radicals that can lead to aging and skin cancer caused by ultraviolet light. Think of it as ‘Pac-Man’ eating those little pellets
- Products containing Vitamin C also help protect the skin from the effects of pollution
THE 5 BEST VITAMIN C SERUMS
I haven’t tried this one myself, but my mom bought it after seeing all the hype surrounding it online—and she said it changed her skin. I just spent some time reading a bunch of reviews and I’m now tempted to buy it myself, even though I have more Vitamin C serums than I know what to do with. The founder of the brand went to MIT and developed the product with a team of MIT engineers…so you know it’s legit.
You’ve all seen me post about this on IG stories, and I use it pretty regularly (unless I’m testing out something new.) Initially I was skeptical because of the price, but after seeing SO MANY PEOPLE talk about how it was the best Vitamin C serum on the market, I obviously had to try it. I think it’s pretty incredible, and I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who has the money to spend on luxury skincare.
I wasn’t familiar with Mad Hippie until I stumbled upon it on Amazon, and after reading all the rave reviews—and cross-checking more reviews from other websites—this one seems like a total winner. It’s a great option for anyone who prefers clean, cruelty-free beauty products.
Big fan of this concentrate from Kiehl’s—it’s the product I had been using for about a year before I decided to try Skinceuticals. What’s different about this one compared to the others is that it’s a thicker texture, which I kind of liked. Also, I’m convinced it helped reduce my smile lines.
Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum has been long regarded as a favorite in the beauty world, and I absolutely love it. Great for women who have dry skin, because it’s also super hydrating. Another nice thing is that it comes in a $20 mini size, so if you aren’t sure whether you want to commit, I’d go for that one.