You probably know that you should be using a Vitamin C serum every day. But do you know why? And are you even using it properly? Here’s a little refresher, plus a list of my favorite top-rated Vitamin C serums.
HOW TO USE VITAMIN C SERUM
- Because Vitamin C helps protect your skin from pollution, ultraviolet light, and free radicals, you’re going to want to use it in the morning rather than in the evening
- As a rule of thumb, skincare products should typically be applied from “thinnest” to “thickest” in terms of consistency
Step 1: Wash your face.
Step 2: If you’re a toner person, use a toner. (I personally only use toner at night.)
Step 3: Apply Vitamin C serum. Pat any excess product onto the top of your hands, neck, and décolletage.
Step 4: Apply a moisturizer (Yes, your moisturizer should come after your Vitamin C serum — remember the “thinnest to thickest” rule.)
Step 5: Apply your favorite eye cream. (My list of the best anti-aging eye creams is a great resource.)
Step 6: Apply a sunscreen. Let it dry/set.
Step 7: Begin your makeup. (Check out my everyday makeup routine and products here.)
What’s nice about Vitamin C serums is that they can be applied as a base layer underneath whatever products you use in the morning, because they never feel sticky. And as for how often you should apply it? Every. Single. Day.
One other thing to note: if you’re wondering how to use a hyaluronic acid serum and a vitamin C serum together, the answer is—you guessed it!—go from thinnest to thickest. The HA serum I use has a slightly thicker, gel-like consistency, so I apply it after my vitamin C serum and before my moisturizer.
It’s completely fine to layer your serums, but make sure to give each one time to try before applying the next.
VITAMIN C SERUM BENEFITS
- According to dermatologists, Vitamin C is one of greatest anti-aging ingredients found in nature
- Short Term Benefits: Immediately after using a product with Vitamin C (like a serum) you’ll notice increased radiance and sheen
- Long Term Benefits: With consistent use over time, it helps build collagen and increases firmness
- After just 4-6 weeks, dermatologists say you can expect to see a difference in skin tone and improvement with hyperpigmentation
- Here’s how one dermatologist (Dr. Mona Gohara) explained it to me: Vitamin C sucks up the free radicals that can lead to aging and skin cancer caused by ultraviolet light. Think of it as ‘Pac-Man’ eating those little pellets
- Products containing Vitamin C also help protect the skin from the effects of pollution
THE 6 BEST VITAMIN C SERUMS
I haven’t tried this one myself, but my mom bought it after seeing all the hype surrounding it online—and she said it changed her skin.
I just spent some time reading a bunch of reviews and I’m now tempted to buy it myself, even though I have more Vitamin C serums than I know what to do with. The founder of the brand went to MIT and developed the product with a team of MIT engineers…so you know it’s legit. BUY NOW
I’ve been using this serum for years and it’s the one thing I find myself consistently going back to (unless I’m testing out something new.) Initially I was skeptical because of the price, but after seeing SO MANY PEOPLE talk about how it was the best Vitamin C serum on the market, I obviously had to try it.
I think it’s pretty incredible, and I’d definitely recommend it to anyone who has the money to spend on luxury skincare. BUY NOW
I wasn’t familiar with Mad Hippie until I stumbled upon it on Amazon, and after reading all the rave reviews—and cross-checking more reviews from other websites—this one seems like a total winner.
It’s a great option for anyone who prefers clean, cruelty-free beauty products. BUY NOW
Kiehl’s Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate (currently on sale at Sephora!)
Big fan of this concentrate from Kiehl’s—it’s the product I had been using for about a year before I decided to try Skinceuticals.
What’s different about this one compared to the others is that it’s a thicker texture, which I kind of liked. Also, I’m convinced it helped reduce my smile lines. BUY NOW
Ole Henriksen Truth Serum (currently on sale at Sephora!)
Ole Henriksen’s Truth Serum has been long regarded as a favorite in the beauty world, and I absolutely love it. Great for women who have dry skin, because it’s also super hydrating.
A new favorite of mine is this Vitamin C + tri-peptide serum by Bliss. At just $24.99, the price point can’t be beat, and I love the fact that it has a gel-like consistency that doesn’t leave behind a sticky texture on your skin.
Did you guys find this helpful? Are there any other Vitamin C serums you’re using and loving? Let me know in the comments!
PIN THIS POST FOR LATER: