Here at the #SilbSquad HQ (which is a fancy way of saying Lindsay’s apartment), we’ve been making an extra effort to be more conscious consumers. The first step? Shopping small.
While the Sephora‘s and Nordstrom‘s of the world hold a special place in our hearts, there’s just something about small businesses—maybe it’s the stellar customer service, keen attention to detail, or a touching backstory—but trust us when we say that shopping small just hits different.
That’s why we’ve rounded up our very favorite small businesses, featuring everything from puppy portraits to the chicest puzzles I have ever seen.
And while you’re at it, check out our other gift guides below. Happy shopping!
Fashion & Accessories
- Stoney Clover Lane makes some of our all-time favorite pouches, duffel bags, and travel accessories. The brand is owned by two sisters who started SLC when they were in high school! Their cozy collection is a personal favorite.
- OG the Brand makes some of the dreamiest tie dye loungewear around. Each item is handmade and completely unique—my mom, sister, and I got the cutest matching purple pajama sets!
- Goldstitch is another amazing tie-dye brand (and fellow #SilbSquad-er!) She does custom embroidery and accepts orders via Instagram DM.
- Breck and Grier offers personalized, handcrafted Moroccan straw totes, perfect for a day at the beach or a trip to the market.
- Victoriajshop hand-makes chic gold jewelry at amazing price points.
- Emilie Shapiro is an incredible jewelry brand (owned by one of Lindsay’s best friends!) Each piece is handmade with love in New York City, and no two pieces are the same. Many of her designs are made-to-order, and she regularly works with clients on custom pieces.
- While Vintage by Sarah Studio is best known for their handmade mask chains and jewelry, I’ve been eyeing their embroidered sweatshirts (see below).
- Oma the Label has some of the best chains and hoop earrings around. The brand considers itself “at the corner of sexy and sweet.”
- The Style Filos is a new women-owned brand that assembles super cute custom accessory boxes. Think FabFitFun, but more personalized, curated and small-biz-focused.
- Topicals is a force to be reckoned with, and this duo is the perfect gift for your favorite beauty lover. You can check out my thoughts on the brand here.
- Independent, Brooklyn-born, Black-owned brand Golde is centered around superfood-boosted essentials for health and beauty.
- If you’re looking to mask in style, KNC is the place to go. Check out their insta-famous, shooting star eye patches below.
- It should surprise absolutely no one that Lindsay is the proud owner of these passive aggressive coasters.
- I love Home This Weekend‘s original prints of NYC and beyond. Shelby is a fellow blogger and she’s one of my favorite people to follow on Instagram, particularly for home decor inspo!
- Can’t make it to Italy this year? Ana New York‘s prints are the next best thing, sure to satisfy the wanderlust in you. [Editor’s note: Ana is truly one of the most talented people I have ever met, and she is also an all-around amazing human being. — LS]
- Please enjoy the below photo of Dani’s father, her dog, and the amazing puppy portrait we got from Premvy for his birthday (my dad’s, not the dog’s).
- The Coy Collection offers a variety of hand-crafted ceramic wares guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
- Yowie offers funky pieces from local independent artists and designers that are sure to stand out.
- Coming Soon is a furniture design and gift shop featuring fun, funky versions of otherwise mundane everyday pieces.
- The Illustrated Life makes gorgeous painted paper goods. Unfortunately, commissions are closed for 2020, but there are some amazing pre-made options (Lindsay has these that were a collaboration with fellow NYC blogger Wit & Whimsy, and I can confirm that they are, in fact, adorable).
- Have a penchant for pickles, olives, or spicy homemade jams? Look no further than Doc Pickle. The small family-fun business has been around for more than 50 years, and they make the GREATEST PICKLES ON THE PLANET. Also: their bleu cheese stuffed olives for martinis and spicy red pepper relish are to die for.
- You’ve been warned: this perfectly spicy Ghost Tequila has quite the kick to it.
- Meet Piecework, a small business selling some of the chicest puzzles I’ve ever seen.
- Salt & Sundry is a lifestyle boutique featuring an eclectic mix of goods from independent makers and designers across the globe.
- We were recently introduced to The Food Crate, a Connecticut-based food delivery company that specializes in chef sourced, white table cloth, restaurant quality foods. They deliver nationwide and have themed crates like “Sunday Sauce,” “Charcuterie and Fromagerie,” and even “Atlantic Steampot” crates for bigger groups.