7 Things I’ve Learned About Being a Full-Time Influencer

7 Things I’ve Learned About Being a Full-Time Influencer

Today marks one month since I left my full-time job as a magazine editor to become a “social media influencer,” and well…it has been a JOURNEY. For the most part, I’m confident I made the right decision—the freedom to be on my own schedule (and, you know, work in my pajamas) has been pretty rad—but I’ll be honest: it’s not all rainbows and butterflies.

Before I started doing the whole blogger/influencer thing, I was beyond intrigued—ok, obsessed—with knowing everything about this world and what it was really like for the people who do it full-time.

There seems to be so much mystery around it, you know? I imagine a lot of you have the same curiosities that I’ve always had, and in a weird way, I feel like we’re starting this rollercoaster ride together…so my goal is to keep you in the loop throughout the process.

I want you to think of me as your friend who also happens to be a blogger—the person who can answer any of the juicy questions you have about what really goes on “behind the scenes.” I’m basically an open book (which you know if you’ve been following me for a while.)

ANYWAY, let’s get things started, shall we?

Here’s what I’ve learned about being a blogger and influencer so far.

1. Saying no is as important as saying yes.

Once word got out that I was “open for business” (so to speak), I started to receive a lot of interest from brands, hotels, products, etc. about working together. I’ve said “no” more times than I’ve said yes. Since I’ve never previously done ads or sponsored content, I feel super protective of my integrity and audience…so if I’m approached by a brand that I haven’t tried yet, or asked to endorse a product I have mixed feelings about, I say no—even if the money is appealing. I’d rather wait for opportunities that I feel good about (SKINNY TEA WHERE U AT)  and I’m confident that my “dream” partnerships will come. In fact, I have a few in the works as we speak… 😉

2. I have the best, most loyal following ever.

You guys have been incredible throughout this process. I’ve been blown away by the number of people who signed up for my newsletter (even when I admitted there wasn’t a newsletter yet LOL), posted about my big move on their stories, left comments on my blog, and DMed me words of encouragement. I honestly assumed people would think blogs were old news and no one would read mine. I was wrong! (Thank God.)

3. You know what sucks? Not having an IT department.

If I told you about all of the tech issues I’ve run into, you’d be bored to fucking tears. I decided to set up a “fancy” new email address (lindsay@lindsaysilberman.com) so I could be official and shit, and when I emailed all of my contacts to let them know, I ended up getting filtered into everyone’s spam folders. Apparently I hadn’t added some kind of security protocol that tells email servers you’re not a bot. Like, how the hell was I supposed to know about that?!

Then, while I was in Kenya, I woke up one morning to 20 DMs from people telling me my website was down. It was my own fault—I had accidentally messed with something on the backend and broke my own fucking website. Cool. It took a three hour call with my domain host to figure out what I had done.

lindsay silberman working

Late night at the “office.” (My dining room table.)

4. There’s no such thing as a day off.

Sure, I traveled for 2 weeks this month, but I spent my flights writing blog posts, late nights editing photos, and early mornings responding to emails. There was no napping. There was no going to bed early or sleeping in late. I’ve worked every Saturday and Sunday this month. But what has surprised me is how excited I am to work—which I think tells me everything I need to know about whether or not I made the right move.

5. I have a lot of fans/readers in Virginia!

Who knew?! My website gives me a lot more intel into the demographics of my following than Instagram does, and while I had a feeling most of my followers were from NY & LA, I certainly didn’t think that people in Virginia, Texas, London, and Toronto would be here too—but you guys are representing! (Comment below if you’re from one of these places!)

6. When you don’t have colleagues, your “office hours” are really weird.

Some days I started work at noon—and didn’t stop until 10pm. I don’t mind it, since I’m a night owl anyway. The bottom line: this isn’t a Monday through Friday, 9-5 job. (I’m currently writing this on a Saturday at 7:30pm….)

7. When you’re a one woman show, things take time.

I wanted to get my YouTube channel off the ground in month one, and well, that didn’t happen. (I did, however, sort of teach myself how to edit video, so I count that as a win.) There are still some changes I want to make to my website, and I have 9 million blog post ideas that I haven’t had time to do. But I’ll get there… stick with me, ok?!

Is there anything else you want to know about #influencerlife? Drop your Q’s in the comments, or slide into my DMs.

39 Comments

1. Sheryl
    November 7, 2018 / 7:35 pm

Amazing! I’m so happy I found you years ago – and get to watch and learn from the best😍

2. Jennifer Duran
    November 7, 2018 / 7:58 pm

Just so you know: I WAS genuinely excited to open and read your newsletter! 🙂 I’m so happy for you to have found your calling (and a little jealous too! ha!). So excited to follow along!!!

• November 8, 2018 / 11:25 pm

thank you thank you!! I hope you’re always that excited to open them 🙂

3. Jocelyn
    November 7, 2018 / 8:18 pm

👋 from Texas!!

4. Your Mom
    November 7, 2018 / 10:47 pm

Your first newsletter is a winner! I love the photos (I’m a visual person) and of course, your mother, so I love seeing photos of you. You certainly kept to “keeping it real” and also informative. So proud of you, please don’t become some snob bitch that I have to make an appointment to see!

Love you,

Your Momma

• November 8, 2018 / 11:22 pm

LOL pls call my assistant regarding my availability

just kidding i love you and I am who i am because of YOU <3

5. Leona Law
    November 7, 2018 / 10:49 pm

Wonderful, you are taking plunge into the unknown.
    Life is an adventure, live your best lifetime.

6. Kristina
    November 7, 2018 / 10:59 pm

Okay #influencer question. How did you grow your base on instagram? Were you always super open? Best tips for growing a legit following?

• November 8, 2018 / 11:21 pm

OMG you just inspired a future blog post. There was actually ONE specific moment where I totally changed my mindset and decided to be an open book on IG. Before that I just posted pretty pictures with not much substance like everyone else 🙂 I’m going to give you a shout out when I write the post!

• Holly
        November 9, 2018 / 7:04 am

Excited to read this post as well!

7. Lisa
    November 7, 2018 / 11:53 pm

I love your honesty and that your sharing this new journey with everyone! You are exciting to follow and watch you grow!! Stay real, honest and beautiful! Matt is one fucking lucky guy and you are one fucking lucky woman! The two of you are a riot! Inspiration and the new IT couple to watch. Can’t wait to see what the future has in store for you but I k ow it will be super exciting and awesome!!

Love you!! 💕💕

• November 8, 2018 / 11:19 pm

Lisa!!! You are so sweet. I still sometimes find it crazy that anyone cares what random things we’re up to but I love it. Thank you for the support! xox

8. Cheryl
    November 8, 2018 / 12:19 am

Beyond proud of you. You are meant to do this! 😘

• November 8, 2018 / 11:18 pm

That means so much coming from you 🙂 Thank you!!

9. Missionseetheworld
    November 8, 2018 / 3:01 pm

You’re a freaking rockstar! I still find it crazy I have never met you in real life but feel so proud of you like you’re my best friend!! THAT’S how you know you were destined for this.

xoxo,
    Dani Metzger
    @missionseetheworld

• November 8, 2018 / 11:17 pm

that’s literally the nicest thing I’ve ever heard. THANK YOU!!!

10. Megan
    November 8, 2018 / 5:29 pm

#silbsquad reporting from Virginia!!!

• November 8, 2018 / 11:17 pm

OMG DYING HI!!! Need to plan a #SilbSquad pilgrimage to Virginia immediately

• November 10, 2018 / 6:10 am

Yes!!! I work from home in Arlington (right outside DC) and loving your content!

11. Ashley
    November 9, 2018 / 12:02 am

Virginia in the building!! Loved this! Thanks for taking us along this journey with you.

12. Holly
    November 9, 2018 / 7:03 am

Love this!!! And love your blog & insta page. Not from VA, but am from Alabama 💗 keep it up, you’re amazing! Only thing is…. I’m missing your #insomniabeauty insta videos. Just saw your #insomniabeauty story, but the videos were always 👌🏻
    XOXO

• November 11, 2018 / 12:55 am

Hahah I’m sleeping a little more these days now that I’m on my own schedule 🙂 thank you for the support! xox

13. Taylor Rains
    November 9, 2018 / 2:59 pm

technically i’m from virginia! granted i haven’t lived there in 10 years but still feel weirdly proud. represent! all truth, i love the way you write and am so happy for your new chapter.

14. Karen Franco
    November 9, 2018 / 11:14 pm

hello from houston, texas! <3

15. Maggie
    November 10, 2018 / 3:12 am

Not sure if you’re talking about London UK or London Ontario (where I live) hahahah but I’ve been following you for a few years and love your content! So happy you decided to do this full time. You’re going to kill it!

• November 11, 2018 / 12:54 am

Actually come to think of it my analytics just said “London” so i dont even know which hahaha thank you so much for the support!

16. Jenny Vallejo
    November 11, 2018 / 9:20 pm

Loving this content already! I’ve been following you for a little over a year and a half and couldn’t wait for this day. #silbsquad!!! Also, repping the TX readers section over here 🙌